Hand holding a small house in the palm and a key via a ring around the finger

It’s Time To Get Real (Estate)

Stop making excuses and learn how women are profiting from this boom

Great news: Multiple sources report that the outlook for the U.S housing market remains strong. We owe this to several factors—continued job growth, wage increases, and mortgage rates that have remained in a historically low range for quite some time (keeping housing payments affordable for homeowners).

Sounds like a pretty good time to get in on the real estate game (if you haven’t already done so), right? As the lottery motto goes, you can’t win if you don’t play. And that’s true in all investing. But unlike winning the lotto, real estate investing isn’t dumb luck—it’s an art form that requires you to do your due diligence, conduct research, run the numbers, get creative, and take calculated risks in order to succeed.

Did you know that women are more successful than men at real estate investing with a return ratio of 2 to 1? Yet, just barely 30% of the real estate investors in America are women. Ladies, it’s time to infiltrate this “old boys’ club” and stake our claim on their turf.

Debunking the Myths

So, you think real estate investments are just for rich couples or singletons who can take risks because they don’t have hungry mouths to feed? Think again. Women—single, divorced, married and single moms—are buying properties and profiting from this real estate boom. Why? Because contrary to popular belief, it doesn’t matter how much money you have. In fact, every successful real estate investor I know, male or female, started very small. And that’s honestly for the best, because there’s a lot to learn and lots of mistakes to be made—the smaller the investment, generally the less costly the mistake.

Or maybe you disagree with economists and think the bubble is about to burst? Well, thankfully real estate investments work in any type of market. Real estate investor Dean Graziosi says: “Real estate investment works in any area, in up, down or sideways markets, and for anyone who invests their time, energy and enthusiasm in getting started. America doesn’t play favorites by gender when it comes to energy, enthusiasm and the desire for success.” That means, it’s an even playing field.

Getting In on the Action

First, when I speak of real estate, I’m talking about rental real estate that produces a positive cash flow. If you’re investing for cash flow, the market’s direction is no longer important, nor do you need to worry about liquidity. Your goal is to collect monthly rent for profit—and any gain in value of the property itself is a bonus. This long-term play is much more steady and much less risky than the pundits want investors to believe.

Second, it’s important not to be limited in your terminology. When I say real estate rental properties, I’m talking about single family houses, duplexes, triplexes, apartment buildings, single office buildings, multiple office buildings, retail stores, retail shopping centers, big box stores, self storage facilities, industrial warehouses, and so on. As you can see, there is a ton of variety in real estate.

Third, you’ll want to harness the power of OPM: using Other People’s Money to invest. On a typical real estate investment, you’ll put down around 20% of the value of the investment while the bank puts down the other 80%. But if you’re really savvy, you can find investors to cover much of the 20% down payment, limiting your cash expenditure, while collecting fees for brokering the deal. This allows you to have the potential for a much greater return on investment (ROI).

If you think real estate is right for you, there is a deal out there that will fit your investment plan and profile. But first, you should educate yourself on the ins and outs of real estate investing. There are free workshops available if you want to dip your toes in the real estate investing pool, or you can dive right in with a three-day training seminar that will teach you:

  • The 5 ingredients for success in real estate
  • 14 sources of money to fund your investments (OPM, baby!)
  • Developing the mindset of the rich
  • Locating deals in the “hidden market”
  • Creating multiple sources of cash flow

In the late 1980s, Robert and I began investing in small, single-family homes. When we were ready to move on to bigger properties, we purchased a six-unit apartment building. Today, we own over 1,000 apartment units. That’s how our story started—how will yours begin?

Featured in Alltop

Join Our Community—1.5 Million Strong

Register for free!
BACK TO THE TOP